Tuesday, June 23, 2009

French Butter Keeper or Butter Bulb (TM) with holes

Whenever I make one of my French butter dishes, (I call mine Butter Bulb (tm) because of their butter chamber shape) large enough to hold 2 sticks of butter, I like to include the holes in the flange that dips into the water below. The idea being that the holes allow the water to enter the butter chamber and keep it closer to the butter, thus less air to spoil the butter. This can also help to reduce suction when pulling the top out.

I really love these little gems. It took me a long time to come up with a French butter jar design that I found appealing and these are the result. The big dots on top I call happy dots. I sell them at my Etsy online shop.


Anonymous said...

always thought these butter dishes were cool... nice to see a diagram for those who are mystified, i was for a while

Barbara Dunshee said...

Thanks Jim! The traditional French butter dish butter chambers are straight cylinders, but I wanted the bulb at the back end to help in holding in the butter a little more. Plus I could make the exterior shape like a bubble, which I like.

FetishGhost said...

Love the diagram... thanks!